Transferring the Gym Reimbursement Benefit

HealthBuzzA few months back we told you in this space about the health club reimbursement benefit that Anthem provides for workers covered by the State Employee Health Benefit. A member recently asked Chris Porter — the SEA’s Compensation and Benefit Research Specialist — whether he could transfer this reimbursement benefit to a dependent, specifically a 16-year-old child who wanted to go to a gym. The answer to that question is, yes.

The member was initially told that transferring the benefit was only possible if the dependent was 18 or older, but Chris did some legwork with the state and Anthem and discovered that there is no such age restriction. That means that if a subscriber (the covered employee) is not using the health club reimbursement benefit, that person can transfer the benefit to an enrolled family member. To do so, you’ll just need to call Anthem at 1-800-933-8415 to ask for your benefit to be transferred.

One final note: Before you go through this process for an under-18 dependent, you’ll want to confirm that the fitness facility will allow someone under 18 to work out without supervision.

Do you have other health benefit questions? Send them to Chris Porter at and put “Ask Chris” in the subject line. Chris is our Compensation and Benefit Research Specialist who will advocate for members experiencing challenges with their contracted medical benefits. If you’re a member who gets his or her health coverage through the marketplace (under the Affordable Care Act), Chris may also be able to help you. We’ll post answers to commonly posed questions in this column.

Did you like this? Share it:

Comments are closed.