Lay-off Assistance

If You Receive a Layoff Notice, Help Is Available

If you have received a formal, written “notice of layoff,” immediately contact the SEA at 271-3411.

First, be certain of what your notice states.  Some employees may receive transfers or demotions rather than a Layoff or Reduction in Force (RIF) Notice.

You Should:

Contact the Department of Personnel – Update your information for the Reduction In Force (RIF) Listing.

Check your personnel file to be certain all information is current and review items that may have to be explained.

You may receive a pay-out of your leave (Sick, Annual, Comp, Bonus, & Floating Holiday). Review this for accuracy.

If you wish to continue to receive your Healthcare Benefits – The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) gives workers and their families who lose their health benefits the right to choose to continue group health benefits provided by their group health plan for limited periods of time under certain circumstances such as voluntary or involuntary job loss, reduction in the hours worked, transition between jobs, death, divorce, and other life events. To learn more visit this link, and/or contact Jo-Ann Keller at SEA. Telephone Jo-Ann at 271-3411 ext. 134.

Calculate when unemployment benefits will begin & carefully plan your budget for the time between now and then. Unemployment benefits will begin once your payout has been exhausted according to NH Employment Security (NHES) rules.

Contact the NH Retirement System to set up an appointment to discuss your options if you think you may be eligible.

If you participate in the NH Deferred Compensation Plan,  contact Great West at regarding your options.

If you have a Flexible Spending Account, check with your HR administrator to see how long you will have to use the balance.

Update all of your personal information with SEA – Address, Phone, & Email. Call 271-3411 or send an email to

Continually check for re-hire opportunities. Check in two places: with your Department for recall to your position and with the Department of Personnel for other openings within state government.

Keep copies of all documents together in a place where you can easily locate them.

Comments are closed.