The first State Employee Appreciation Day drew several hundred people to the State House lawn Wednesday, despite rain that hardly seemed to let up.
Nearly two-dozen state departments and programs were on hand despite the less-than-ideal weather to talk about the work they do every day. Another highlight included the awarding of the first Above and Beyond Awards and the reading of a proclamation from Gov. Maggie Hassan setting Oct. 1, 2014 as State Employee Appreciation Day.
Numerous elected officials and candidates were in attendance, and Sen. Lou D’Allesandro and Sen. Sylvia Larsen spoke at the start of the program just after noon, with Larsen presenting the governor’s proclamation.
SEA President Diana Lacey applauded everyone involved with the inaugural event.
“This was a great event,” Lacey said. “Thank you to the SEA members and staff who came together to do this, and thank you to the state agencies that took part. Thank you, also, to the local businesses who offered discounts. Finally, thank you to our state lawmakers and Gov. Hassan.”
The winners of the Above and Beyond Awards were Lis Izarrualde, of NH Employment Security, Cynthia Richard, of the Department of Safety, Gloria Andrews, of the Department of Environmental Services, Heidi Guinen, of the Department of Corrections, and John Hattan, of the Department of Health and Human Services.
A special thank you is due to the departments who sent representatives out to take part in the event. They included:
- Community College System of NH/NHTI
- Department of Administrative Services
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Corrections
- Department of Environmental Services
- Department of Fish & Game
- Department of Health & Human Services
- Department of Resources and Economic Development
- Department of Safety
- Department of Transportation
- NH Banking Department
- NH Employment Security
- NH State Liquor Commission
Finally, we wish to thank the many area businesses who participated and offered special discounts and gift certificates to state employees.
- Puppy Love, a downtown Concord hot dog vendor was onsite offering a discounted lunch to state employees
- SEA/SEIU Local 1984 offered all state employees ice cream from Arnie’s from Loudon Road, Concord
- $25 gift coupon courtesy of The Windmill Family Restaurant, 172 Loudon Rd, Concord
- $30 gift coupon courtesy of The Red Apple Buffet, 161 Loudon Rd, Concord
- 2 certificates for free desert courtesy of TGI Fridays, 221 Loudon Rd, Concord (4 pairs)
- Certificate for free item courtesy of the Loudon Road Dunkin Donuts Restaurant, 101 Loudon Rd, Concord (five items)
Special State Employee discounts- must show SEA membership card or State Employee id
- Bagelworks- October 1 only free small coffee with purchase of a bagel or item of equal value (Concord Location only)
- Pizza Hut- 10% discount for all state employees from Oct 1-5 for dine-in at 148 Loudon Rd, Concord location. No other discounts or coupons may be applied.
- Ruby Tuesday Restaurant- 10% discount on entrée order from Oct 1-5 for dine in at the 327 Loudon Rd location in Concord. No other discounts or coupons may apply.
- Wendy’s Restaurant- 10% discount on entrée order from Oct 1-5 for dinner at the 106 Loudon Rd location in Concord. No other discounts or coupons may apply.
- Dunkin Donuts- 270 Loudon Rd location in Concord continues to offer 10% discount every day to state employees.